WAWG Applauds Peel Regional Police for Issuing an Amber Alert
It was absolutely devastating to hear of the 11 -year-old girl, Riya Rajkumar missing on February 14, 2019. Thousands of us heard of this very troubling news through an Amber Alert. It was deeply saddening to hear of her murder. On behalf of the Woman Abuse Working Group, we applaud the Peel Police for acting quickly, hearing Riya’s Mom’s concerns for her daughter’s welfare, believing her and issuing the Amber Alert.
This tragedy will be remembered by many. We must keep the focus on the safety of children and do everything to support their safety. Our hearts ache for this Mom and family as we know there is nothing more debilitating than the murder of your child.
It was most disturbing to hear some reactions of folks complaining about the noise of the Amber Alert disrupting their sleep. To those, I ask where is your compassion and moral compass?
As Chair, I’m representing a coalition of over 15 agencies in the City of Hamilton working to end violence against women. We support efforts through advocacy, education and leadership to raise awareness on gender-based violence and the impact on women and children as well, create opportunities for community engagement. Most specifically, we strongly advocate for the removal of systemic barriers that perpetuate gender-based violencs.
For information and interviews please contact:
Nancy Smith, Executive Director of Interval House of Hamilton
Chair of WAWG
- Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton
- Catholic Family Services
- Centre de santé communautaire Hamilton/Niagara
- Equity and Inclusion Office -McMaster
- Good Shepherd Women’s Services
- Hamilton Regional Indian Centre
- Interval House of Hamilton
- Mission Services of Hamilton – Inasmuch House
- Native Women’s Centre
- North Hamilton Community Health Centre
- SACHA – Sexual Assault Centre (Hamilton & Area)
- Sexual Assault/ Domestic Violence Care Centre
- The AIDS Network
- The Elizabeth Fry Society of Southern Ontario Region
- Women’s Centre of Hamilton
- YWCA Hamilton